Truths about Life in Japan – Health Care, Food and Climate

Healthcare in Japan:

The healthcare system in Japan is designed for preventative care. And it’s considered one of the best in the world, with Japanese people having one of the longest life expectancies. Students who study Undergrad and Postgrad courses are eligible for National Health Insurance (NHI). The annual premium is about JPY 20,000. If a student becomes ill, they just have to show their insurance card to get the discounted cost. National Health Insurance covers 70% of the total medical bill, with the remaining 30% paid by the individual.

Food Culture

The choice of food in cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka is nothing short of amazing. As an island country, sea food is incredibly popular here, but there are also plenty of vegetarian and non-vegetarian options too. Here’s a sample of the type of foods you can find here.

Famous vegetarian foods: 

  • Tempura: a dish of battered and fried vegetables.
  • Shiitake yakitori: skewered, grilled mushrooms.
  • Variety of tofu (bean custard) dishes – pan fried tofu with sesame, chilli and garlic, tofu brinjal stir fry etc.,
  • Spinach sauté, seared horenso (spinach) with butter and soysauce
  • Yakisoba (fried noodles) has both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options
  • Vegetable-fried rice called as Yasai Chahan is a very popular dish
  • Hot pots brimming with tofu and fresh vegetables, perfect for the winter season
  • Japanese vegetable curry is available in Japanese curry houses
  • Lunch boxes (known as a bento box) with fried rice, pickles, salads, tempura and more, is common and available in most convenience stores.

Popular non-vegetarian foods: 

  • Okonomiyaki – this savory Japanese version of a pancake is a mixture of flour, yam and egg. The most common ingredients are green onion, shrimp, vegetables, rice batter and cheese.
  • Miso (soybean paste) stewed mackerel, salt grilled mackerel, blue fish grill, amber jack grill etc.,
  • Japanese chicken curry and keema curry
  • Chicken teriyaki (Crispy stir-fried chicken)
  • Karage (Japanese fried chicken)
  • Chicken katsu is a super-crispy chicken cutlet

There’s also recently been a rise in the popularity of Indian restaurants here in Japan. There are plenty of Indian grocery shops in the cities should you want to try your own cooking – or you can easily order Indian goods online.

Climate – Four Seasons:

Unlike other parts of Southeast Asia, Japan (also known as the Land of the Rising Sun) enjoys four distinct – and often spectacular – seasons.  And they make for some breathtaking attractions and activities throughout the year.

Here’s a look at the average temperature in Tokyo – as you can see, there’s quite a difference throughout the year, so make sure you pack the right clothes for the season!

Winter: 10 degrees Celsius.

Spring: 23 degrees Celsius.

Summer: 30 degrees Celsius.

Autumn: 22 degrees Celsius.

2 thoughts on “Truths about Life in Japan – Health Care, Food and Climate”

  1. Understand Japan health care system is one of the best in the world. Do the students get covered by National Health Insurance from day#1 when they join the college ?

    1. Focal Ed Admin

      Mr.Mohan –
      Yes, after the student joins the College the Health insurance card will be provided.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top